Tuesday, Oct. 8

arts community events

Lotus Festival blooms again, bringing global music to Bloomington

lotus10 (1).JPG

The 31st annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival Transformed the streets of downtown Bloomington into dynamic cultural crossroads Saturday. From Oct. 3-6, over 20 bands brought the sounds of Southern Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and Appalachia to local venues, providing festivalgoers with a rich soundtrack of heritage and musical skill. 

Saturday’s performances started with Iraqi-born musician Rahim AlHaj, whose evocative compositions blended ancient Iraqi maqams with modern flair. Maqams, a classic Middle Eastern melody type system, include unique modes and scales meant to express a variety of emotions. AlHaj said his music was inspired by his exile from Iraq and his new beginnings in the United States.  He dedicated a song to his mother, emphasizing the vital role she played in his life. 

“When I returned to Iraq, the most lovely moment was reconciling with my mom,” he said. “She not only saved my life, but also helped me obtain my passport.” 

Karan Casey, an Irish singer-songwriter, delivered a compelling blend of tradition and action at this year's Lotus Festival. With over 30 years of experience, Casey is known for her ability to revitalize classic Irish ballads while simultaneously using her music to effect social change. Through her lyrics and performances, she addresses issues about women’s rights and historical injustices. 

Casey performed with fiddle player Niamh Dunne and guitar player Sean Óg Graham as they delivered haunting versions of love songs, fiery social justice ballads and timeless folk songs. She sang about two women revolutionaries of Ireland and also about sisterhood. 

Her performance at the event served as a reminder of the Lotus Festival’s mission to celebrate global cultural diversity via music and art. 

Among the performances was Ukrainian singer Maryna Kurt, who performed using a bandura-a traditional stringed instrument-in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Her performance of Ukrainian folk music brought a moment of delicate beauty to the theatre.  

Maanas Vennelakanti, a junior at IU, said he was impressed by the variety of musical styles and the representation of diverse cultures right here in Bloomington. 

"What struck me the most was the range of cultures represented in one place,” he said. "I wasn't expecting to be impacted so much by the various musical styles, from Karan Casey's deep Irish ballads to Cedric Watson's exuberant Creole rhythms. Each performance had its distinct spirit, and I felt as if I was exploring the world without leaving Bloomington.” 

In addition to the music stages, the Lotus Art Village on Fourth Street showcased local art, buskers and activities like hula-hooping and crafting, Emmy Wilson, a third-time volunteer, said one of her favorite parts of the festival was the Art Village. 

"The hula hoops, live painting and drum circles make it so much fun for everyone, no matter your age," she said 

Manali Mukherjee, a junior at IU, attended the event for the first time and said she thought the food trucks were a great highlight. 

“The food trucks were exceptional,” she said. “I had the opportunity to try a strawberry banana and Nutella crepe from the Crepe Outdoors food truck, which was delightful. It was truly exciting to see Kirkwood so lively during the festival.” . 

The Lotus Festival gets its name from Indiana singer Quinten "Lotus" Dickey, as well as the Lotus flower, a symbol revered across cultures worldwide for its representation of beauty and universality. According to the Lotus Education & Arts Foundation website, Dickey’s openness toward all people and cultures partly inspired the festival’s name. What began in 1994 as three small venues has grown into a large and multi-day celebration of worldwide art and music that attracts thousands of visitors to southern Indiana each year. 

The festival's spirit lives on in Bloomington, with plans for more worldwide talent and local flair in the upcoming year.