Thursday, Oct. 10

city politics bloomington

Who is the Monroe County auditor and what does she do?

2024elections-illo

Brianne Gregory will run for another term as auditor of Monroe County in the general election Nov. 5, according to the Indiana primary candidate list. Gregory was not available for an interview after two requests from the IDS. 

Gregory has been auditor for seven months. The Monroe County Democratic Caucus selected her to fill the vacant role in February, when the previous auditor, Cathy Smith, became county treasurer. 

Before assuming this position, Gregory served as the county’s financial director for four years. Gregory will run unopposed in the upcoming election. She was also the only person who filed the paperwork for eligibility in the February caucuses. 

After working as a legal assistant for four years, Gregory moved into local government in January 2019, when she became an internal auditor for Monroe County. She served in that position for over a year before pivoting to her role as financial director.  

The auditor serves as chief accountant of the county, according to the Indiana government County Auditor Manual. This role is responsible for many finance management tasks, including but not limited to keeping property records current, managing tax deductions and receiving bids for public works projects. 

As auditor, Gregory also serves as secretary for the Board of Commissioners, County Council and County Board of Tax Adjustment. The county requires Gregory to publish and mail notices of these agencies’ meeting dates and keep minutes at the meetings. 

The secretary for the Board of Commissioners sends bidder notices to at least two newspapers two or more weeks before the county undertakes a public works project. This allows construction companies or other entities to place bids to be considered for hire on the project. 

School and cemetery funds are held in trust by the county and managed by the auditor, meaning that the money used to benefit schools and cemeteries cannot be distributed elsewhere. Gregory ensures that the government processes interest on these funds and oversees how the money is spent. 

The auditor race will be seventh on the ballot in November, followed by county treasurer, coroner and surveyor, all of which are also single-vote races. Voters can view which candidates are on the ballot on the Vote411 website.  

Editor’s note: Molly Gregory does not have any relation to Brianne Gregory.