Tuesday, Oct. 22

arts music

COLUMN: Music inspired Halloween costumes for the it girl

entmusiccostumes101724.jpg

There was once a time where I truly believed that I was about to abandon pop music. I had turned into a middle-aged uncle with my listening habits. An average playlist of mine was made up of Neil Young, Steely Dan and Paul Simon. I didn’t like anything on the radio, and through Spotify I was able to detach myself from what was current. I found myself relating more to the 11-year-old girl who is a superfan of Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers (a story that is beyond heartwarming). 

It wasn’t until I discovered an artist that goes by the name of Chappell Roan that I was sucked back into pop. I loved her fearlessness through her artistry. She reminded me so much of an early Lady Gaga through her exploration of the pop genre and style. Roan is not the only pop star rising from the ashes. If you are looking to pay homage to your favorite superstar, here are a few ideas for you. 

Chappell Roan 

Everyone’s favorite “Midwest Princess” is absolutely dominating the music world right now. Truly every look of hers is absolutely iconic. Her love of pop culture shines through every performance. Her homage to drag superstar Divine at Kentuckina Pride festival was the ultimate dedication to drag culture. It also brought a wider audience of people to John Water’s cult classic film “Pink Flamingos.” My personal favorites include her take on the Statue of Liberty at Queen’s Governors Ball Music Festival, her Video Music Awards’s Joan of Arc (or Roan of Arc) full body armor ensemble and of course her prom queen dress seen on the cover of her album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess”. Dressing up as Roan is sure to cause a scene!  

Sabrina Carpenter 

If your song of the Summer was “Please Please Please”, consider dressing up as the short, but very sweet Sabrina Carpenter this Halloween. Carpenter’s style is reminiscent of a Polly Pocket or Barbie doll you had when you were younger. It is ever sparkly and exactly what your childhood-self dreamed of wearing. I myself am patiently waiting for another show on her tour to see what she will wear in my favorite hit “Juno.” Carpenter is not just an outfit, but a mindset. She is confident and hilariously authentic. Maybe opt for a “Jesus was a Carpenter” baggy T-shirt as seen worn during this year’s Coachella or maybe go for her “Death Becomes Her” inspired “Taste” music video look (the bloodier the better). Dressing up as her this Halloween is certain to leave “quite an impression”.  

Charli XCX 

Brat and it’s the same, but it’s Halloween so it’s not. Many Bloomington residents might remember Charli’s iconic set during 2021’s IMU Union Board Block Party. It is safe to say that she has absolutely skyrocketed from that performance in this past year. This Halloween, think wrap-around black sunglasses and “brat green”. I want to see Von Dutch trucker hats, baggy cargo pants and “365 party girl” shirts. This also has the potential for a duo costume. The Sweat tour would be incomplete without Troye Sivan. I want to see Sivan’s full “Got Me Started” music video fit and don’t forget to wear a mic! Brat summer may be over, but the cultural moment will forever live on in our hearts. 

Beyoncé 

“Cowboy Carter” fulfilled every dream I had for a Beyoncé album. After the release of “Renaissance,” I would have never expected a country album from her. This change-up exceeded every expectation and ignited a new love for the genre. The album cover for “Cowboy Carter” was an instant classic, elevating the classic cowgirl look this Halloween, I expect to see big hair, cowboy boots, Canadian tuxedos and a LOT of fringe. Western wear has been in vogue throughout this autumn, and we have Beyoncé to thank! If you’re dressed up as Queen B this Halloween, I expect you to snap a picture and bring it on 

If you’re someone who counts down the days until Spotify Wrapped is out, these costumes are most definitely for you. And as for me, I am opting to dress as my favorite music it girl, Penny Lane from the 2000 film “Almost Famous.” Band-aids will always be the moment.