Wednesday, Oct. 2

PRESS RELEASE: Join the Fun: 29th Annual Run for the Animals Set for October 6

monroe county humane association r5.jpeg

The following is a press release written by Andrew Krebbs for the Monroe County Humane Association.

Bloomington, IN – Monroe County Humane Association (MCHA) is thrilled to host the 29th Annual Run for the Animals & Barktoberfest, presented by The Dog House, on Sunday, October 6, 2024, at Karst Farm Park. This beloved annual event brings together fitness enthusiasts, animal lovers, and community members for a day of fun and community in support of MCHA’s vital programs and services.

Event Details:

Run for the Animals is a timed 5K run/walk where participants can challenge themselves or enjoy a casual walk with their pets. New in 2024, the course has been redesigned to include a loop through the Monroe County Fairgrounds, creating a safer experience by minimizing interactions between competitive runners and participants with pets.

Whether you're a seasoned runner or just looking for a fun day out with your furry companion, there's something for everyone. Join us in celebrating 29 years of making a difference for local animals!

Be sure to stick around after the race to explore vendor booths, enjoy food trucks, and participate in Barktoberfest’s Paw Passport activity. Pre-registered runner packets will be available for pickup at the event entrance on race day. Register online until October 5 at monroehumane.org/5k or register the day of the race between 8-9 a.m.

Barktoberfest, a free community event, kicks off at 8 a.m. and features local vendors, food trucks, and activities for both families and furry friends. Enjoy demonstrations, participate in the Pet Costume Contest, or test your dog’s skills in the Fastest Peanut Butter Licker Contest!

Event Schedule:

8:00 AM: Barktoberfest Opens, On-site Run/Walk Registration Begins

9:20 AM: Run/Walk Registration Closes

9:30 AM: 5K Run/Walk Begins

10:30 AM: Pet Costume Contest & 5K Awards Ceremony

10:50 AM: Fastest Peanut Butter Licker Contest

11:00 AM: Raffle Winners Announced

1:00 PM: Barktoberfest Ends

NEW! 5K Award Categories include:

Top 3 Overall Men’s 5K

Top 3 Overall Women’s 5K

Top Youth Male & Female (12 & under)

Top Male & Female (by age categories from 13 to 60+)

Top Canine 5K

Virtual 5k Run

Can’t attend in person? You can still support by registering for our Virtual 5K or by making a donation to help MCHA continue its important work. Participants will receive a run shirt and be entered into a surprise gift drawing to be held on November 1. Instructions for managing your registration and uploading your results will be included in your confirmation email.

Every dollar raised from the Run for the Animals goes directly toward supporting MCHA’s life-saving programs and services, including the Accessible Veterinary Clinic, Crisis Housing Program, Pet Food Pantry, Spay/Neuter Assistance, Street Outreach Program, Mobile Vaccine Clinics, and Education Programs.

A special thank you to this year’s sponsors:

A special thank you to this year’s sponsors: The Dog House, Monroe County Fairgrounds, Monroe County Parks and Recreation, Shine Insurance, Atchison Eyecare & Associates, B97, Bloomington Kennel Club, Gigabitnow, Megan Ratts Photography, Old National Bank, Pet Paws Transit, Shelter Insurance/Hazen Insurance Agency, Slotegraaf Niehoff, Scout’s Honor, Crazy Horse, Fresh Thyme Market, German American Bank, Hoosier Hills Credit Union, House of Paws Grooming, Indiana University Cinema, IU Credit Union, RootAdvisors, Studio K-9 Luxury Pet Spa, Town & Country Veterinary Clinic, Watson Vet Mobile Medical Care, The Uncloggables Plumbing, and Mad4MyDog. 

About Monroe County Humane Association (MCHA)

Monroe County Humane Association has been dedicated to strengthening the bond between animals and their human companions since 1956. MCHA serves Monroe County and surrounding areas through essential programs like the Accessible Community Veterinary Clinic, Susan Bartlett Crisis Housing Center, Mobile Vaccine Clinics, and the Pet Food & Supply Pantry. In 2023, MCHA distributed 25,000 pounds of food and provided veterinary care to over 2,700 pets. MCHA is committed to keeping pets with their families, providing resources for pet owners in crisis, and promoting a more humane future for all.

For more information and to register, visit monroehumane.org/5k or contact MCHA at mcha@monroehumane.org or 812-333-6242.

We can't wait to see you there! Join us for a day of fun while making a difference in the lives of animals in our community.