Thursday, Oct. 3

PRESS RELEASE: Monroe Lake to Celebrate 60 Years With Reception Beneath Dam, Oct. 24

press-release-filler.jpg

The following is a press release written by Jill Vance for Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

On October 24, 1964, representatives from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers officially dedicated the newly constructed Monroe Reservoir. 60 years later, Monroe Lake will commemorate that occasion with an anniversary reception on October 24 from 2 to 3:30 p.m.

The reception will take place in the tailwater, directly beneath the reservoir dam, at 1620 E. Monroe Dam Court, Bloomington. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.

Beginning at 2 p.m., there will be displays of historical items and photos from the reservoir’s history, a self-guided tour of the dam, and info tables from organizations tied to the lake. The first 100 people in attendance will receive a 60th anniversary souvenir.

Daniel Bortner, Director of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Michael Chaveas, Hoosier National Forest Supervisor, and Tyler Blakenship, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Natural Resource Specialist, will speak on the history and significance of the reservoir at 2:30 p.m.

Following the remarks, attendees can enjoy refreshments, sponsored by Visit Bloomington, and all attendees can enter to win a 2025 Indiana State Parks Annual Entrance Pass.

If you plan to attend the reception, an RSVP by noon on Oct. 23 is greatly appreciated to assist with planning. However, walk-up attendees are also welcome. RSVP online at tinyurl.com/60monroe.