Sunday, Oct. 27

arts food

5 Bloomington restaurants to try before the semester ends

entresttotry102424.jpg

Unlike Coach Cignetti’s winning record, these five restaurants are hard to find in a Google search. Before the fall semester ends, I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try these underrated restaurants in Bloomington.  

The Little Italy Market at 421 E. Third Street has a small kitchen in the back of its storefront and serves phenomenal sandwiches. These giant Italian sandwiches are served with fresh ingredients and stuffed with flavor. If you are looking for a cold sandwich with fresh deli meat, you can order the $15 Many Meats Sandwich, which includes a variation of Italian deli slices, or the $20 Prosciutto Cotto sandwich, which contains prosciutto, pesto, balsamic glaze and fresh mozzarella. The market also offers two hot chicken cutlet sandwiches, including a classic Chicken Parm sandwich and a Chicken Cutlet sandwich with pesto, balsamic glaze and fresh mozzarella.  

Despite its popularity in Bloomington, Da Vinci Pizza and Pasta is on this list to ensure everyone has the pleasure of trying this restaurant. The restaurant is off 250 S. Washington Street and serves delicious homemade woodfire pizzas alongside a variety of pasta dishes.  You can’t go wrong with sharing an order of bruschetta, Caesar salad and margherita pizza with your table.  Adventurous eaters will also enjoy splitting their $18 specialty options, such as pistachio pizza or truffle funghi pizza. 

Off 600 E. Hillside Drive, you will find a modern take on Mediterranean cuisine. Feta Kitchen offers nonconventional appetizers, such as feta nachos, Mediterranean layer dip, sweet potato chili fries and Santorini tomato fritters. For the main meal, the restaurant specializes in custom salads or build your own grain bowls. For $13, my favorite order is a basmati rice bowl with arugula, chopped gyro meat, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese and a scoop of hummus and whipped feta.  

Hidden on 1614 W. Third Street, this affordable dining option serves authentic Korean meals originating from the owner’s family recipes. Hoosier Seoulmate has the familiar Korean meal Bibimbap, a rice bowl with meat, vegetables, fried egg and spicy sauce served in stone bowls. The restaurant is also known for its creation of a Bul-Dog, a fusion of a hot dog and bulgogi. The $4 Bul-Dogs contain marinated meats, pickled radish and cheese served in a toasted hot dog bun.  

The Elm is an upscale restaurant with a rotating seasonal menu on 614 E. Second Street. The current autumn menu has intriguing items, such as the $35 Maple Leaf Farm Duck and $45 Steelhead Trout. While the high-end restaurants may not be budget friendly for college students, it's a great option for special occasions such as graduation or birthdays. If you do stop by for a celebration, you can honor the night with its almond poached pear cake or apple compote ice cream.  

Take advantage of Bloomington’s rich food scene and make sure to stop by one of these local spots. You will never regret experimenting with new exciting types of food!