Broadband service providers may now have new incentives to expand high-speed internet in Monroe County.
The Monroe County Council unanimously passed a resolution Tuesday vowing support for broadband providers seeking federal funding to expand high-speed internet in the county. Councilor Marty Hawk was not present for the vote.
The Broadband Equity, Access and Development program, part of the 2021 federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, offers $42.45 billion to fund projects expanding high-speed internet access and use. It aims to prioritize unserved locations and underserved locations. Unserved is defined as being without access to 25 megabits per second downloads and 3 megabits per second uploads. Underserved is without access to 100 megabits per second downloads and 20 megabits per second uploads.
Indiana received $868 million from BEAD. The Indiana Broadband Office has discretion to determine how those funds are spent.
“The ability for us to tap into $868 million and bring rural broadband into the county is one of the good news stories to start off the year, so I'm very much excited about the support for this resolution,” Councilor David Henry said at the meeting.
Last spring, Monroe County collected data from residents on their home connection speed, which Councilor Trent Deckard told the Indiana Daily Student will hopefully show the state where there are underserved areas in Monroe County.
Deckard said Tuesday the resolution expressing support for the broadband providers applying would give them 5% more funding from the state if approved. According to the resolution, Comcast, Mainstream Fiber Networks and AT&T are seeking funding. Deckard said he sat in on meetings between County Commissioner Julie Thomas and some providers on their plans.
The Board of Commissioners approved letters of support signed by Thomas for all three providers at a work session Jan. 30.
Deckard said the project approval will come within a few months, with two to four years to implement the project. He said he’d expect the southwest and northeast regions of Monroe County, among others to receive improved broadband service. The state will also determine which providers would be best serviced to work in each area needing service, he said.
“One thing that is awesome about this is that for us, this is a win-win,” Councilor Trent Deckard said at the meeting.
Following the passage of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, states have seen slow approvals of their funding applications. In September last year, 16 states were still waiting for federal approval. However, by November, all 56 states and territories had their proposals approved.
The BEAD program is just one of a number of recent broadband expansion projects across the country, including those funded by the 2021 American Rescue Plan Act.