Just got back from the morning press conferences. Pretty incredible sight. The Maui Westin held the event outside just a few hundred feet away feet away from the Pacific. The eight coaches, all wearing leis, took a few questions from the media before participating in a charity free throw contest.

(In case you're wondering, Crean used a two-handed shot to convert 3-of-5 from the line.)

After the contest Crean met with the local media that made the trip to Maui. We'll have full coverage in tomorrow's paper and I'll try and post the stories on the blog later. Here are some of the highlights:

* This is Crean's second trip to Maui in as many years. Last year, Marquette made it all the way to the final before falling to Duke, 77-73. The coaches had nothing but great things to say about the EA Sports Maui Invitational. Crean called it a "first-class event."

* With a young roster, Crean's main focus is getting his team to compete.

"The biggest thing for our program right now, with all of the players that we have that are so new to this, is learn how to compete on a consistent and daily basis," he said. "No matter what happens over this tournament and over the next few days we will learn where we stand ... We have a great, great test ahead of us on Monday."

* When Crean left Marquette to take the IU job, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey thought he'd seen the last of his Big East rival. At least for awhile.

"As I said, I'm glad he's out of the league," Brey half-joked. "He did a fabulous job at Marquette and is in the midst of doing it in Indiana. Doing it the right way. I think there's great energy in the state with him there, and they're really going to come out and play hard guard the heck out of you. That's always what his teams have done no matter where he's been."

* The Hoosiers don't plan to leave Luke Harangody to Tom Pritchard. In fact, they plan on using a lot of people.

"We're not guarding Luke with one person. You'll see a lot of people down there at some point."

* In addition to practice, the team is also having some fun.

"We needed binoculars to see how far Tom Pritchard and Kyle Taber were out in the ocean the other day on their boogie boards," Crean said. "I think the'yre having a good time. When we work, we try and work very hard."

Once again, the Hoosiers play Notre Dame in the first round of the Maui Invitational Monday (12:30 p.m. island time, 5:30 p.m. EST). The game will be broadcasted on ESPN2, but I plan on blogging the game live courtside as usual. So be sure to join in on the fun. Mahalo.

- - - - -

Photo: Chris Carlson/Associated Press